Monday, March 19, 2007

Dog Lovers, You Need to Know This

Ever had a puppy?

Ever experienced a playful little friend who has learned how to jump flying UP onto the bed, across to your sleeping partner, and nailing you in the um, er, well, between the legs innocently every morning to let you know that she's ready to go outside, take care of nature's business, and then come untie your shoes as you're getting ready for work because she wants you to be home? Have you ever watched and laughed as a pair of litter mates that you've adopted into your family wrestle and play in the middle of the living room floor? Have you ever had a dog with a head as large as your three year old daughters body lay his head in her lap while she played with his ears and cooed at him?

A good dog is a good member of the family. They don't judge, they don't argue, they don't try to undermine you. All they want is to love and be loved, and to protect the family, even if it's a family of one owner, one dog.

There are, of course, a few "bad apples" out there, that's just natural.

Have you noticed I haven't mentioned any specific breeds?

Personally, I'm a Lab and English Shepherd lover. My best dogs through the years have been these two breeds, along with one that was a Lab/German Shepherd mix. She was a wonderful companion to all of us, and a fanTAStic extra set of eyes watching after a very, very active and rambunctious three year old toddler.

I've never been a huge fan of Pit Bulls. Frankly, they just don't appeal to me. That being said, I would hate to know that I sat idly by and said nothing about California's SB 861, which calls for the extermination of the breed within the state of California (yes, I know it says "dangerous dogs," but in looking over this knuckleheaded tripe, Pit's are specifically targetted). If this law is allowed to stand there, you can look for it to be proposed and passed in other states. Will it stop with Pit's? I doubt it; this sort of mindlessness seems to snowball. Chows. Rotties. Dobermans. Bassett Hounds. Bassett Hounds?

See my point?

Hold owners accountable for their animals.

The actions of people have given this breed a bad reputation.

ANY dog can be turned into an aggressive animal. Just as any dog who is given the proper love and attention can be a wonderful, loving member of the family.

I have to say, I never thought I'd be taking a stand to save the lives of Pit Bulls.

If someone proposes legislation to start exterminating cats, I'll know that the Someone is trying to teach me a HARD lesson because yes, I'll stand up for even a cat's right to live as a breed and species...

Once and Always, an American (and cat-allergic) Fighting Man...

.

No comments: