Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fred Thompson: the Water is Fine!

You've heard the news by now. You've read it in the papers, online, in spree's posting earlier today. Or you've been under a rock.

Fred Thompson is officially in the race for the office of President of the United States of America.

Talk radio has been abuzz with discussions about his entry into the Republican race Why did he wait so long? Will it affect his race that he waited so long? Why did he not come into the race sooner?

I hate to toot my own horn, I really do, but I'm going to take credit for being one of the FIRST to mention Fred Thompson as a possible Presidential candidate, and I did so on this site WAY BACK on 9JAN07 in the comments section of spree's posting Deja vu, where I said this:


Ahem...

Has anyone approached Fred Thompson?

I know I tend to be partial to Tennesseans because I am one (we don't talk about Al Gore though, other than with dismay and amazement...) but I have heard his name mentioned a couple of times recently on talk radio.

Might be worth looking into.


It wasn't just because of talk radio that I mentioned Fred Thompson. Everything I've seen of the man, I'm impressed with his integrity, his forthrightness, and his calm, confident demeanor. To criticize Thompson for waiting until September to announce his candidacy is to criticize our entire process up until this year. Traditionally, candidates haven't formally announced until after Labor Day. Fred Thompson is merely staying in step with tradition in doing so.

By now you've had time to read the commentaries, to watch the youtube clips, and to see Thompson's own announcement clip on his site. Listen to Leno's audience. That was no canned applause, that was the audience. They were excited. Look at Thompson himself. Does he seem anxious? Does he seem tense? Quite the opposite. The man is the picture of calm and cool. Listen to what he says. Does he deride the other Republican candidates? He doesn't. In my own mind, he's already taking the stance that he's the man. That his announcement was more widely watched than the Republican debates FEATURING the other candidates speaks volumes in and of itself; candidates who, when asked ABOUT Thompson, had snide comments to make about him, by and large.

As I said, I first forwarded my opinion about Fred Thompson entering the race back in January. In the months that have passed, nothing has changed my mind that Fred Thompson should be the Republican candidate for President in the 2008 election. If anything, I'm more convinced than ever, having watched the other candidates through the passing months from then to now.

I suppose it goes without saying, my personal support goes to Fred Thompson.

Will it be a difficult campaign? What Presidential campaign isn't? Thompson has a few things in his favor that the others don't have. He's the fresh face in the crowd, the new voice, and since he hasn't been doing the active "hot" campaigning that the others have been doing this year, he's coming into the race fresh. The other candidates have had time to make their pleas, begin repeating themselves, in some cases redirecting their "spin" on things (McCain and his stand on illegal immigration, just as a case in point).

I DO see a man who WILL NOT apologize for our war, who will not apologize for America, backing down from anything he says. To my knowledge, he never has, in the political realm.

The primaries are drawing near.

Hang on to your hats, folks, it's going to be an interesting ride from here on out...

Once and Always, an American Fighting Man

.

No comments: