Sunday, May 11, 2008

Go Speed Racer Go...Away?

One of the biggest exports from Japan is their animation. Anime has evolved into a multi-million dollar industry and the Japanese have the market cornered with their artistic skills and computer animation. But how does it transfer for live movies?
My mother hated for me to turn on the television when I got in from school when I was younger. After squaring away homework, it was time for one of my favorites, back in the day. Speed Racer, and his high octane fight against the bad guys, along with a little help from his friends Trixie, Sparky, and Racer X ("unknown to Speed, Racer X is secretly Speed's older brother Rex Racer, who ran away from home years ago").

To this day, the Mammoth Car episodes remain my favorite from the 1967 animated series that was running in syndication by the time I was old enough to watch it.

And now it's been made into a full feature live cast film. A film that doesn't seem to be living up to the expectations of what a Wachowski Brothers (the Matrix) movie should be.

The summer of 2008 is only two weeks old, and it already has its first flop. Speed Racer, the Wachowski Brothers' kaleidoscopic retelling of the classic cartoon series, got stuck in neutral this weekend, grossing a mere $20.2 million, according to Sunday's estimates — a disastrous sum for a movie that cost well in excess of $100 mil and that Warner Bros. had considered one of its major summer tentpoles.


This has left the door open for Iron Man to continue it's run in the number 1 spot this weekend, good news for Marvel Comics as yet another comic to screen adaptation makes it big.

Personally, I'm disappointed to hear this about Speed Racer, as I was and still am planning to go see it when it makes it's opening in theaters locally. While I'm not expecting a Shakespearean production when I introduce my eight-year old daughter to the Go Team. And I do have to say, I'm more inclined for her to see Speed Racer, despite it's poor opening and reviews, than I am for her to see some of the other offerings for the summer box office, Baby Mama in particular.

Once and Always, an American Fighting Man

.

No comments: